"We get so preoccupied with ourselves, the words we speak, the plans and projects we conceive, that we become immune to the glory of creation. We barely notice the cloud passing over the moon or the dewdrops clinging to the rose petals...we are so accustomed to buying prepackaged meats and fish and fowl in supermarkets. We grow complacent and lead practical lives. We miss the experience of awe, reverence, and wonder."
Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Another video, "The First 70"

Apparently California has decided to close 70 state parks this upcoming July 2012. Click here to watch a video made by a group of people that oppose this decision. (It is about 3:00 minutes in length). I do want to say that I realize we are all dealing with a serious economic issue throughout the US, and that some sacrifices have to be made and/or things need to change, but the closure of 70 state parks in one state seems somewhat drastic and rash to me.

However, thinking critically about this news and researching more of the background information is not a priority for me right now, as I am presenting (leading) a workshop all day Friday and most of the day Saturday. I hope to revisit this topic, so for now, enjoy the beautiful scenery in the video!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, this closing 70 parks seems a drastic measure even with our tight economy; people still need solace and a chance to hang out in nature to regain their bearings and sense of connection to life beyond work (or looking for work).

    ReplyDelete