People love to bike here, and for good reason. Great scenery, challenging yet usually reasonable terrain, and courteous drivers to share the road with. Since I still can't run due to my ankle injury several months ago, I've been trying to bike when I can to get some exercise. So last weekend, I participated in a 25-mile bike ride called "Ride the Rogue", which was a nice loop on gently rolling terrain that toured the countryside and a creek that joins the Rogue River. It was a good time! The picture below is of the covered bridge rest stop along the way.
Then this past week was the first week of Fall in the Field, and it was interesting, to say the least. I have to admit that as hard as my cohort and I have worked this past year, the first day of a
brand-new program will inevitably unearth some unexpected challenges, and so I felt uncomfortably unprepared. But we all survived (students, staff, and parents), and I would even go so far as to say that we all had fun while learning! I didn't take any pics of the kids, but here's a cool insect we saw!
And then this morning I volunteered again with REI, doing another cleanup of Bear Creek. The organization I did my internship with this spring, BCWEP, was also there, so it was great seeing lots of people I knew. I was the team leader for a small group that had a mom and her two young kids. The youngest boy was a master trash spotter/picker-upper! He frequently called me over, saying, "There's trash! Right there! Can you help me pick it up?". Very cute. I think he actually did more work than me.....
I head off this week to Deer Creek, where I will be working with the residential portion of our program. We have overlapping groups, so it should be a very intense week. Let the fun begin!
No comments:
Post a Comment