Mistletoe comes from the Old English "Mistle" (dung) and "tan" (branch). Not the origin you would expect from the plant one traditionally kisses beneath! But people used to think that instead of passing through birds as seeds, mistletoe just happened to grow on a branch where a bird sat (and pooped). Mistletoe is also a parasitic plant, and I don't know about you, but when I hear "parasite", I picture some worm-like thing living inside someone, which is not an image I would associate with a holiday.
The female mistletoe plant produces berries that birds love to eat (though poisonous to us). In a great example of adaptation, the juice inside the berries is very sticky, allowing the seeds to stick to the tree once they've passed through a bird, or when a bird wipes their sticky beak on a branch after eating some mistletoe berries. So the seed sticks, and then begins to grow!
![]() |
| The white berries of an oak mistletoe |
![]() |
| Close-up of mistletoe |
![]() |
| Mistletoe from afar |
The proper tradition is for the man to remove one berry for each kiss, and that when no more berries remain on the plant, no more kissing is permitted underneath the plant. Kissing underneath mistletoe should bring good luck to the couple. There is also a tradition of the woman burning a mistletoe sprig; if it burns well, it foretells marital bliss, if not, the woman will have an unhappy marriage.
I will leave you on a happy note with a quote about Christmas that I found, that reflects some of what I feel around Christmastime.
"What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is a fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may lead to peace."
~Agnes M. Pahro



No comments:
Post a Comment